5X Tablet Uses
Emergency contraception is a rescue method which is aimed to prevent fertilization in case of unprotected intercourse. This contraception is used within 120 hours (5 days) after unprotected intercourse or a known or suspected contraceptive failure, particularly
- If you have had a sexual intercourse whereas either yourself or your partner did not use a contraceptive method
- If you have forgotten to take consecutive 3 regular contraceptive pills
- If your partner's condom has broken, slipped or been improperly removed or if he has forgotten to use it
- If you fear that your intrauterine device has been expelled
- If your vaginal diaphragm or your contraceptive cap has moved or if have removed it too easily
- If you are afraid that the method of coitus interruptus has failed or if you have had sexual intercourse during the period when you are supposed to be fertile while using the rhythm method
- In the event of rape
Ulipristal Acetate is an emergency contraceptive pill for women. Ulipristal Acetate should be used within 120 hours of unprotected intercourse. It should not be taken as regular birth control pill. Each Ulipristal Acetate tablet contains Ulipristal Acetate INN 30 mg. Ulipristal Acetate belongs to a group of medicines called Selective Progesterone Receptor Modulator (SPRM).
Ulipristal Acetate (For emergency contraception)
Selective progesterone receptor modulator with antagonistic and partial agonistic effects. When taken immediately before ovulation, postpones follicular rupture. It is thought that the primary mechanism of action for emergency contraception is inhibition or delay of ovulation; however, alterations to the endometrium that may affect implantation may also occur.
5X Therapeutic Class
Drugs acting on the Uterus, Emergency Contraceptive Pill
5X Tablet Doses
One tablet (30 mg) should be taken orally with a glass of water.
5X Tablet Side Effects
Undesirable effects which have been observed are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dizziness, fatigue, headache
- Abdominal pain
- A feeling of breast tenderness
- Bleeding can occur after taking this medicine
Emergency contraception must be used exceptionally, since
- The associated hormonal overdosing is not advisable in case of regular intake
- It cannot replace a regular contraception
After taking Ulipristal Acetate, menstrual period usually occurs at the expected date nevertheless, it can occur earlier or later by a few days. After taking this tablet, it is therefore mandatory to check the absence of pregnancy by performing a pregnancy test in case of abnormal bleeding at the date of expected period or in case of menstrual delay of more than 5 days.
The use of emergency contraception does not replace the necessary precautions against sexually transmitted diseases and the measures to be taken in case of risk of transmission.
Simultaneous administration of certain anticonvulsant agents (phenobarbiton, phenytoin, primidone, carbamazepin), also other medications such as rafimpicin and griseofulvin can reduce or suppress the effectiveness of this emergency contraception.
5X Uses During Pregnancy
Pregnancy Category X. Use of Ulipristal Acetate is contraindicated during an existing or suspected pregnancy. Use of Ulipristal Acetate by breastfeeding women is not recommended.
5X Accute Overdose
No acute toxicity has been demonstrated with this medicine in case of intake of several doses.
Should not use this medicine-
- If you have hypersensitivity to Ulipristal Acetate or its any excipients
- Do not use more than one time in the same menstrual cycle
- If you are already pregnant
5X Uses Direction
The treatment necessitates the intake of one tablet. The Ulipristal Acetate tablet must be taken as soon as possible within 120 hours (5 days) after unprotected intercourse or a known or suspected contraceptive failure. The tablet can be taken with or without food. If vomiting occurs within 3 hours of Ulipristal Acetate intake, consideration should be given to repeating the dose. Ulipristal Acetate can be taken at any time during the menstrual cycle.
After using an emergency contraception, it is recommended to use a local contraceptive mean (condom, spermicide, cervical cap) until the next menstrual period resume.The use of Ulipristal Acetate does not contraindicate the continuation of regular hormonal contraception. If you have used this medicine while you were using an oral contraception (contraceptive pill), you should carry on taking the usual tablets until the end of the treatment. In case no menstrual period occurs in the next pill free period following the use of Ulipristal Acetate, a pregnancy test should be performed to rule out a pregnancy.
5X Storage Condition
Store in a cool & dry place, protected from light. Keep out of reach of children.